Thursday, July 3, 2008

This one's for YOU, Buffy



My mother called them Forget Me Nots. . . I remember them as "those cloud cookies". Want a treat but your out of shortening. . . not a problem. . . .out of brown sugar . . . . not a problem . . . out of flour. . . . NOT a problem. The trickiest ingredient for these cookies is NOT an ingredient at all but the BROWN PAPER BAG that you are to bake them on. . . What store has brown paper bags anymore? Luckily for me I have a roll of kraft paper for gift wrapping that worked just fine.

Preheat oven to 325

2 egg whites
1/8 teas. salt
1/8 teas. cream of tartar

Beat until foamy, sort of stiff then add:

3/4 cup white sugar - slowly
1 teas. vanilla
1 cup of chocolate chips
1/2 cup of chopped nuts (optional, pecans or walnuts)

place teaspoon sized dollups of mixture on ungreased paperbag lined cookie sheet.

Time to bake may vary from 20 to 40 minutes, depending on how crunchy you want the cookies. . . . I usually like them to be a little browned and if they get too crunchy then they are a little messy to eat. . . . Let them cool completely then place in air tight container.

2 comments:

DeEdra said...

Sounds interesting. Always on the lookout for a new, tasty recipe. I'll have to get Dick to try it (he makes the cookies in our house now).

Unknown said...

yum, I can't wait to try it. thanks for sharing