Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Grounded, again?

I am referring to little Samuel. Actually, I don't think he is grounded but I was worried there for a moment.
Yesterday I brought out my unpainted nativity set to work on. Sam was over so I got him a plate with brown paint on it, a brush and one of the camels (10 inches long). I told him to paint where the camel's hair would be. I wasn't sure if this would appeal to him, but as it turned out he was very engaged by this project. He did a good first coat and would have gone on to another piece if we had not had to leave the house to go eat (I took Leigh out for Veteran's Day -- by the way thank-you to all who called to thank him for his involvement with the military.) As we told Sammy that he would need to leave because we were leaving the house, he offered to stay there and watch the dogs and paint. Well, we explained that his mom and dad needed him home and it wasn't a good idea for him to be at our house alone. Maybe he could come back later and help me. (By later I meant another day, just to clarify).
We got home from eating about 7:30 or so and I immediately got to work again. I had recorded some NCIS episodes and I was just watching them as I painted; very relaxing and fun. About 9:45 Leigh headed off to bed but I wanted to finish with the purple paint. Soon the dogs started growling and I suspected a skunk. . . but then I was a flashlight and I realized it must be Becky. Imagine my surprise when Sammy appeared at the back door, without a coat with a flashlight!! He very matter-of-factly walked in, shut off the flashlight, came to the table and said, "Which one can I paint Grandma?" "Sam, it's very late, does your mom and dad know you are down here?" "Oh, no the rest of the family went to bed." "If they don't know you are here, you could be in a lot of trouble." Then, because I wanted a witness to this event, I said "Go tell grandpa 'Hi'". Which he did. Leigh then walked him up to his house, where EVERYONE was now up, scouring the house and yard for one little missing boy.
I spoke with Leigh just a while ago and Sam was visiting again so there was no grounding from grandpa's house but I'm pretty sure there will be consequences to pay.

4 comments:

Bryce, Anna, Porter, Avery and Colette said...

i don't know if you will get to 10 comments, but I do read your blog when you post and enjoy the stories from up on the mountain, so keep writing them... your post also makes me excited to get out our nativity sets... i'm not one to decorate early but maybe i'll get them out soon :)see you in a few days!

Team Seguritan said...

That is one crazy kid! I'm so happy we made it home with him from the Zoo.

And a quick note on the Nativity, that is my all time favorite Christmas decoration. You are very talented in your panting Christlike in your giving. Thanks for all you do!

KT

Becky Montoya Wright said...

Sam was in bed talking to Andrew. Andrew says, "So Sam you're getting to be a good fighter."

Sam replies, "Yeah, thanks. Andrew, I'm going to use the flashlight and go to the bathroom."

Andrew says, "you just went."

Sam replies, "Yeah, but there's more pee."

Andrew says, "Okay."

Sam then proceeds to leave the dark bedroom with the flashlight in hand. Andrew hears Sam walk down the hall and then hears the front door open and close.

Andrew thinks, "maybe Sam wanted to pee outside," and waits for his return. No return.

Thomas and I are in bed when Andrew walks into our room and announces that Sam has left the house. I thought if Sam had gone to grandmas, I would have already received a call (failing to realize grandma would be smitten by how freaking cute the kid is).

So, we were frantically calling and searching the yard. Meanwhile, Sam has made his way upstairs to Grandpa, who spends plenty of time with the cute kid and knows his M.O., and immediately returns him.

I am so shaken by the entire incident, and it's almost 11:00 PM, that I force Sam to sleep in my bed.

As far as I know Sam is my only child that has ever snuck out of the house at night. In fact, there's quite a few lists that he's the only one on.

Grandpa had really wanted Sam to accompany him and Grandma on a trip to the valley. I could tell he was worried I might not let Sam go, because he called me the next day explaining all the good things about having my 5 year old sneak out. Like the one that "he's not afraid of the dark," and "he's so brave," and "what an independent young boy..." Grandpa continues to save Sam, which is a blessing to all of us :)

Donna/Mom said...

oh my gosh, you guys are so funny! I love your family.
keep entertaining us.

love donna